Summertime fun

We finally had some warm sunny weather and spent Father’s Day enjoying family and a great BBQ.   
The weather went cold again though.  9 degrees C kind of cold.  And rainy.  Ugh.  I have today off so I am working on finishing my mom’s quilt.  

  Trying to keep some semblance of straight lines using painter’s tape.  It’s not perfect but it is 100% better than if I tried to freehand them.  I have all the lines on one diagonal complete – they are about 12 inches apart.  I will do some on the opposite diagonal – maybe 16 inches apart or something.  Not as many going the other way.  I need to remember to make a label too before attaching the binding!  

I’ve been looking at quilt patterns online and I think I’d like to make a jelly roll quilt next.  Something simple like the one where you make a giant strip and cut it up.  I think it’s called a jelly roll race quilt.  Or maybe the Jelly Roll Jam one from the Fat Quarter Shop.  I think I saw instructions on how to make it a twin or lap size.  

Advertisements

Growth

  

Finally!  Things are starting to grow!  Tulips are out, columbines are coming along and the bleeding heart I forgot I transplanted there isn’t dead.  

Maybe summer will come after all.
:)

Inconsistent

i’m quite inconsistent in my recording of life…my journal has similar large holes to this blog!  

I basted the quilt top I made for my mom yesterday.  I ran out of pins so I need to do a bit of quilting first and then retape it and baste the rest.  I’m excited to get that out the door.  

I also bought some amazing pens.  PaperMate ink joy – they are incredibly smooth and came in 8 colours.

  

Sock…

Digging through the yarn bin looking for inspiration and I came across this lone sock.  I’m pretty sure I knit this in 2009….It is a basic top down sock pattern with  a short row heel and toe.  The pattern is a 2×2 rib that shifts (reverses) at each colour change.  The first one fit so well that I cast on for a second one!

The Quilt.

It’s been basted, quilted, and the binding has been machine stitched to the front awaiting it’s final hand sewn finish. And it has been sitting that way for about a month.

This was the first time I have made a quilt so of course it is also the first time I basted. I used my basement floor and lots and lots of pins. The batting is 100% cotton and I’m glad I used a natural fibre.

20140622-131847-47927929.jpg

So many pins!!

20140622-131916-47956508.jpg

I made a simple label for the quilt back using the same solid cotton I used for the backing. I cut a square (maybe 5 inch?), folded it in half across the diagonal, pressed it, drew some lines with a water soluble market and just wrote “hand made by (my name), (place), spring 2014”. Just something to give some context to it in 50 years when I hope it is still being used by someone. I pinned it to the bottom right corner (on the back) lined up with two sides and stitched it into the quilt as I sewed on the binding.

I did notice one spot where I didn’t catch the edge of the quilt top in the binding. I think my only option is to stitch a second line in that spot, to catch the edge, and just have a bit of an uneven binding. With so many other imperfections, that is hardly going to be noticeable.

To quilt it, I couldn’t follow the seams like I wanted to do. Because they were so out of line with each other it would have been very obvious. Instead I did parallel diagonal lines across the top. I used painters tape as a guide.

20140622-135129-49889332.jpg

First quilt top complete!

20140414-083100.jpg

This has been a very fun project. Not very difficult, which was perfect for practicing sewing straight lines and just using the sewing machine in general. I used charm packs of Baby Jane by Eric and Julie Comstock for Moda. It actually wound up being cheaper than purchasing yardage of all these different prints – even if I only purchased quarter yards. I found that strange, but went with it. This top is larger than I thought it would be. Considering I used actual math to figure out what size I was making I’m not sure why I’m surprised…I think visually it is larger than the picture I had in my mind. Quilting will shrink it a bit, and so will washing since I plan to use a cotton batting. The backing will be the coordinating Bella Solids In Flax (the grayish tone) and the binding will be the coordinating Bella Solids in Aqua. Not very imaginative, but it’s more about process.
The seams are not perfect…at all. I put together long strips and then had to sew those together. I would have had better luck sewing nine patches or something similar and then putting those together. But of course I didn’t come across that hint online until after all 14 strips were done and I was wondering how I could fix mismatched seams without ripping it all out. There was a fair amount of ripping! But there was also a fair amount of embracing the learning process and being happy with imperfections. My husband pointed out that no one was going to be cuddled under it on the sofa critiquing it… I’m also hoping quilting makes it less noticeable. I think I’ll do parallel lines on each side of the seams – maybe 1/4 inch on each side. I’m not sure yet.
All hands on deck seem to approve.

20140414-083121.jpg